Wednesday 20 May 2009

Speaking of expenses

Whilst I'm still not convinced the expenses debacle is the most important thing that should be being addressed in the media and debated by parliament at the moment, it is pretty incredible, and leaves me vaguely gob-smacked.

You have to admire MP's for trying to distract the public by putting all the blame on the Speaker who's been forced to resign; the first time this has happened in about 300 years. Think the last time was in the late 1600's when the Speaker of that time had to resign over a bribery claim.

There seem to be very few MPs that didn't jump on the expenses band wagon and claim for all sorts of things they probably shouldn't have. Are we allowed to get rid of the whole lot and start again? As someone mentioned this week I don't know if the Queen still has the power to disolve parliament and call for a general election. I think the public would defintely pass a vote of no confidence in the majority of MPs at the moment.

A senior Catholic Archbishop did come out in support of the Speaker and had a rant versus MPs today, accusing them of trying to deflect attention. The Archbishop in question better take care given the recent report out in Ireland concerning the Catholic Church and child abuse, who knows where the media spotlight will turn next!

If we did have an election now I'm not sure who I'd vote for. I couldn't vote for Labour at the moment, they've just made too many mistakes and need to have that period out of power to sort themselves out, same as happened to the Conservatives. Not sure I could vote Conservative as Cameron is a bit too smarmy and I don't trust him. I quite like the Lib Dems however preferred Charles Kennedy to Nick Clegg. And the Greens aren't really worth it at the moment as most politcal parties have the right green intentions at the moment. Don't think there are any other viable contenders; the BNP should just be dissolved.

I wonder if we just paid politicians a bit more if we'd get better quality people - the sort of private sector business men and women who otherwise wouldn't be attracted to politics, but would probably be quite good at it.

Anyway enough of politics, which really can be quite aggravating. Time to get gardening this evening as probably away in Derbyshire this weekend and tomatoes need a planting.

3 comments:

  1. I know what you mean about who to vote for, I feel it'll be the Lib Dems for me, but i don't feel exactly inspired. The BNP should certainly be dissolved - in acid. (Well I guess people have the right to be very wrong so perhaos not)

    On other matters do you want some pea plants?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, democracy and free speech means we have to put up with the good and the bad.

    Got pea plants thanks, probably going to have an excess of tomatoes come the summer months so will have some to share. That and courgettes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that a thoughtful deliberation on the state of the nation's politics ended up as a discussion abuot pea plants and tomatoes.

    Says it all really. :P

    ReplyDelete