Friday 20 March 2009

Should have done those long haul exercises...

My calf muscle has been hurting for most of the week since we got back to the UK; I think I pulled it whilst I was walking around Norwich on Monday in an effort not to fall asleep and thus avoid jet lag.

Anyway it was pointed out to me that a hurting leg post a long haul flight is also a symptom of deep vein thrombosis, and that I really ought to get this checked. I called the doctors and they very helpfully got me an appointment straight away, and then promptly referred me to the Norfolk and Norwich Hospital for a blood test just to be on the safe side. I told the nurses that I'd just got back off honeymoon and think I'd pulled a muscle; they thought this was very funny for some reason. Then needles ensued.

The blood tests came back with a slightly raised something or other count which means I have to have an ultrasound on my leg on Tuesday, and in the meantime inject myself with Heparin as a precaution against blood clots. All a bit of an overkill as I still think it's only a pulled muscle however best to be on the safe side.

All in all was quite impressed with the British medical system today. Even though in Switzerland it probably would have all been done at the same time in the doctors surgery, it was pretty efficient here and I didn't have to wait long. Annoying that the scan isn't until Tuesday however they don't happen at weekends and are full on Monday. Hopefully I won't get a thrombosis in the mean time - not that I think I have one anyway.

Anyway in light of all that off to drink some wine now, and maybe eat un morceau du fromage, at Chris and Liz'z birthday party! Wahey.

No comments:

Post a Comment